Monday, August 27, 2007

 

Where were you.............

3.55am, and I can hear moaning. I investigate. It's my mother. Not so much a fall out of bed, more a slide.

I manage to lift her onto a chair, no easy task at about 15 stone...... 210lbs, but it take ages, a couple of hours, before she is able to bend her legs and I am able to get her back into bed.

6.15am and I, at last, am able to get back into my bed. It's cold, I'm cold, even though I'm part dressed. I knew these things would happen, and the only surprise is that there haven't been more of them.

She's O.K. A little disorientated, probably the shock. So worried that she isn't doing anything right. The frailty of the mind having it's effect. The best thing to do is to get her back into the routine again, so that she does things automatically, rather than having to think what to do.

An early night tonight I think, but it's already after midnight. Another few sips of cognac, and then to bed, hopefully a full nights sleep. I hate Bank Holiday weekends.

Comments:
Oh Ian, I'm so sorry to hear about this. It must be so incredibly hard for you and yet I know you do it with love and an open heart.

I hope you enjoyed the cognac and that it serves to be a good to-sleeper :)
 
It is good you are a light sleeper, and she is unhurt.

I hope you were able to rest.
 
I'm sorry to hear this, but thank god she was okay.

My mum and aunt looked after my nan for 7 years, after she suffered a series of progressively bad strokes. From what I can remember I think they got bars attached to the sides of the bed - which could be put up at night and put down when needed (bit like the sides of cots, where you can put the side down to get the baby out of its cot). I don't know if you've thought of this, or where to get them from, but they stopped the night-time-falls business.
 
Didn't really feel tired the next day, but today it kicked in, so definitely an early night tonight.

She's been a lot better today, back to normal. She needs to be able to get out of bed for toileting Hazel, so not sure the bars would be such a good idea.......yet.

Thank you all, for your concern and support.
 
Lephare - so did my nan need to get out of bed for toileting - the bars are lift-downable (the types on the side of most babies cots).
 
Hazel, I have a catalogue from out local Disabled Equipment Supplier, only a mile up the road. Should be able to get anything we require via Soc. Services, but sometimes it's easier and a lot quicker to buy it.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]