Wednesday, August 01, 2007

 

A litte windfall....

A month or so ago, I had a letter from a tracing agency. They wanted me to confirm my name, address, date of birth and my National Insurance number. They said they were acting on behalf of The Pearl Centre, but gave no other details. I was sceptical. A scam?



Now we have a Pearl Centre here in Cornwall. One of those out of town coach stop-offs for geriatrics on tour. A place to buy a cheap bracelet and use the toilet facilities, or perhaps a cup of coffee, a muffin and a 'wish you were here' postcard. Surely this letter could not have anything to do with them.



Google set me right and supplied a telephone contact number. The Pearl Centre is the new name for the old Pearl Assurance Company, and the letter was legitimate.



It appears they had a 'forgotten' policy I had frozen in 1983 and had lost contact with me after several moves. So a little windfall is on it's way, not life changing, but enough for me to treat myself to Photoshop CS (at long last), and plenty left over for a bottle or three of Merlot.

Comments:
Aaaaaah I love those surprises. I remember when I was on the bones of my arse in Tenerife, nary two pesetas to rub together and salaries to pay, I found a little wad of cash in the back flap of my filofax. Oh my what a wonderful day that was. I'd totally forgotten I'd put it there months before!! Of course, I used it to pay 'my boys' :)

Enjoy the merlot - be sure to share a glass with Sunny, I was a bit worried that she might be on the cheap stuff with that headache she had the other week ;)
 
What a surrrrprise!!! Yay. Lucky ol' you!! :)

There's a free version of Photoshop lookey-likey called Gimpshop at http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294, so saving the dosh to perhaps could spend your windfall on something else?
 
Gimpshop tutorial is here
http://gimpshop.blogspot.com/2005/11/gimpshop-tutorial.html (just incase you decide to download it!)
 
Ohhh! Yes! Share the merlot with me...and nah...not too cheap...just too much!

I have Gimp downloaded..from what I have heard...photo shop is a lot easier.

Congrats Ian!
 
Got a headache. Started celebrating a little too soon! The Merlot was changed to Beaujolais Village. It was my downfall.

Thanks for the info on Gimpshop Hazel. I'll check it out but I've set my heart on Photoshop CS. I'm revamping about a 100 old photos for a cousin at the moment and Elements has got it's limitations.

I'll raise a glass and drink to all your 'good health', but not until tomorrow.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]