Monday, July 23, 2007

 

Result of the flooding?

I don't usually shop on a Monday, but the weather forecast for today was lousy, and better weather was promised for tomorrow. A chance to get out in the garden and perhaps cut the grass.

The car park was busy, just a few spaces, and it was obvious that some serious shopping was being done. It didn't take long to realise that some were 'panic buying'. Ten 5 litre bottled water in one trolley, a dozen loaves in another. The vegetable section decimated, the meat section half empty....... or half full. Milk was in short supply and great gaps on the bread shelves.

I managed to get most of what I needed, and can always pick up those little extras from the village shop later in the week. But why all the panic? We are 150 miles from the flood area. O.K, some products are going to be in short supply, probably fresh vegetables, but nobody is going to starve, especially in this part of the Country. We can always slaughter an odd yokel and boil up a wurzle or two.

Comments:
We get that mad panic here too, just before a typhoon (hurricane) strikes. For us, though, it's instant noodles that go first. Mmmmmmm doll sesame flavour instant noodes - NOT the awful stuff in a cup. These you have to 'cook' in a pan.

Well with all that food in some homes, I hope to hell your electricity doesn't go! I read in the paper here today (UK floods have made front page news) that Gloucestershire and Herefordshire were badly hit by power outages.

Don't forget your wellies Ian ;)
 
I was quite amazed by the footage from the floods. It's just hard to imagine.

Pity about the waste of good food at your house. How I wish you would come here and cook for me. I love beef and red wine! You could count on me to eat every bite and line up for seconds!
 
Beef storonoff tonight...... with extra brandy.

We are miles out of the flood area, but have our full share of nutters who panic buy and then in six months time throw it all awy.
 
Opps! STROGANOFF, I've never eaten storonoff....... It was the brandy's fault!!
 
ummmm the wellies thing was an invitation to ummmmm continue in the vein of the cling-wrap ;)

A shot for the stroronoff and a shot for the chef

I want to come and eat at your house, I'm tired of leaves and berries!
 
There was enough for four...... in fact there is always enough for four. Can't get the portion size quite right.

Can't remember when I last had a pair of wellies. Will they make me look younger?
 
I'm like that, I cook for an army. Probably cook enough for four when I cook for myself...now THAT could explain a lot ;)

The wellies would be a charming focal point for your attributes, Ian. As for making you look younger, from what I've seen that's not a problem you need to worry about!!
 
Ok, I'll bite...

What is a wurzle? Hmmm?

Oh! Wellies and cling wrap sound like such a lovely combination. ~grin~
 
Looks like we got Sunny all hot and bothered again, Ian ;)
 
Mangle wurzle, a West Country expression for a turnip like vegetable, mainly fed to cattle or sheep........ but edible if desperate.

Then there's Wurzle Gummage, m'dears, but the Crowmans about, so he's in hiding with Aunt Sally.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]