Saturday, July 21, 2007

 

Meal times.....

"I may not be a great cook but I do know that macaroni should not be on fire when it is brought to the table....................." ( the words of Andy Capp).

I'm just a little pee'd off. It's been happening rather a lot recently. My wife's appetite has never been that great, but of late I seem to be spending time in the kitchen on meals that just get poked at when they reach the table.

It was her choice tonight. Beef in red wine, with mashed potatoes and green vegetables. Not a difficult meal but it takes nearly an hour to prep and make, then about three hours to simmer. When the meal arrived, she ate a little potato, a few small fork fulls of cabbage and a little cauliflower. Not very appreciative and no 'thank you', but I'm used to that.

My mother, as usual, cleared her plate, just a few scraps of meat left over as a treat for the dog. At least the dog knows how to show he's interested, and a lifted paw is his way of saying 'thank you'. Life's a bitch some days.

Comments:
Aww, Ian,
I know exactly how you feel, I cannot count the meals I prepared, and then to have them not eaten. It does leave one feeling unappreciated, and several times it left me thinking I could have used the time doing something that was important to me. I am sure she appreciates you, our loved ones just seem to forget to voice that appreciation...sadly.

Chin up darlin', it will get better...right?
 
Yep. It was a down day. Had roast chicken tonight. A little more action on the plate. Thanks Sunny.
 
In the darkest of days with Andy, he would be so drunk he'd not eat. But I still cooked. All I can say is Lupo fared awfully well on many days. He actually consumed a crown of lamb one night. I took the frilly crowns off first, of course ;)

Hell Ian, at least your mum is enjoying it all. As for 'thank you's', sadly they are not always as forthcoming as we wish they would be.

Thank you for being the great guy that you are, Ian!
 
Are you being taken for granted in the cookery dept??

Btw, having three children who sometimes do exactly the same as your wife, I feel your pain. Mind you, my words of "eat up or starve - you're not getting anything else!" usually seem to get them to finish up most of their meal. Not that I'm suggesting you do that lol!!!

As Fiona says - at least your mum seemed to enjoy the meal - and that boring old cliche of you can't people all the people all the time boringly comes to mind.
 
...arrgh!! That should have been "please all the people", NOT people all the people".....eeek. Where's my head at??? lol
 
Hazel. I like 'people all the people', everyone should be peopled at some time in their life.

Fi, another of my little grumbles, when half a fillet steak, or some slices of Aberdeen Angus end up inside the dog. He eats better than we do!
 
When I grill, I always include Lupo's dietary needs in the number of sausages, kebabs, steaks. Can you really look into those eyes and say no ;)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]