Saturday, June 30, 2007

 

Will I live to be 80?

I recently turned 50 and had to choose a new primary care physician for my Medicare program. After two visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing "fairly well" for my age.



A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, "Do you think I will live to be 80?"

He asked: "Do you smoke tobacco or drink alcoholic beverages?"

"Oh no," I replied. "I don't do drugs, either."

"Do you have many friends and entertain frequently?"

I said, "No, I usually stay home and keep to myself".

"Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?"

I said, "No, my other doctor said that all red meat is unhealthy!"

"Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, playing golf, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?"

"No, I don't," I said.

"Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lot of sex?"

"No," I said. "I don't do any of those things."

He looked at me and said, "Then why do you give a sh*t?"



.............Well, it made me laugh!

Comments:
I love it! But, I really would like to know what "fairly well" for your age means.

My son was just saying this morning he feels old...at 21! I laughed. Then sobered up a bit when I realized how quickly that number 50 is approaching for me.

From reading you, your life has changed quite a lot in the past few years...but you seem to live it wonderfully.
 
It's changed quite a lot Sunny but I've had time to grow into it. Not a life of choice, but you've got to play the hand that's dealt.

How's the river at the bottom of your garden?
 
The river is wonderful, I love sitting down on the bottom deck at night, listening to the frogs croaking, and trying to guess how big the fish are that seem to make such huge splashes. It is rather messy though, I am lacking the tools to clean out all of the weeds, and a few visitors have complained of the poison ivy growing near the stairs...luckily I and my children are not allergic. It is very peaceful here...when I remember to live those moments. The weather that past few days has been lovely, warm during the day, but very cool nights, and a waneing full moon to enjoy in the clear night skies.

And, how does your garden grow?
 
I was a bit worried because of the news of flooding in some States. We've had our own problems along those lines, but not in this part of the Country..... thank goodness.

My poor garden is not growing at the moment. Colder weather has slowed everything down. Still cloud watching when I get the chance, especially sunsets.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]