Sunday, May 27, 2007

 

International shopping.......

Whitsunday and it poured with rain. I knew the Supermarket would be busy, the traffic nose to tail on the by-pass, but I needed some 'me' time and shopping is a way of achieving that. Just some fresh veg, and a couple of bottles of wine, other bits and pieces.
.
It wasn't until I arrived home and started unpacking that I realised I had been international shopping. Red wine from South Africa, a rose' from California. The loin chops were French and the beef fillet was Uruguayan. Egyptian green beans, a German cauliflower, and celery from Spain. Scottish Cheddar, it was on offer, then there was Irish butter. I did buy a Cornish cabbage, probably grown just down the road. Oh, and some Head 'n Shoulders shampoo.....................made in France!
.
I can't think how many air miles that lot must have totaled. And I feel guilty about leaving our C.D player on standby!!!

Comments:
I'm totally for local produce shopping or whatever you'd like to call it...but in the meantime, until the supermarkets stop stocking food from far, far away (lol sounds like a fairytale land!)then what are we supposed to do? Limit where we get our food - I mean going from one shop for cheese, another for bread (perhaps, and thus creating more traffic, more 'mileage', pollution etc.)....it's gotta be easy for the consumer or it ain't gonna work. At least you are aware, that's the starting point. God I sound a prat lol! Don't feel guilty about the CD on standby. Every little helps but balance is the key. I'm sure you've done your 'bit' whatever that was/is.
 
What gets me is that if I had gone to Tesco, I could have bought local caulis. Because of the traffic, I went to the nearest Supermarket, ASDA, and the caulis came from Germany!
 
It's amazing that goods can get to our shops from so far away, and be competitively priced with local produce.

Though here, we do have some huge differentials. Imported chicken and beef are about twice the price of local meat. Got to say, though, I steer clear of chicken from the mainland! And I'm not keen on buying beef that's practically still on the hoof!

What would be fun is a basket of everyday goodies, priced by bloggers in different countries, don't you think Ian?
 
It would be interesting. I often compare prices with a friend in Oz. He's in a similar situation to ourselves. Food and petrol is a lot cheaper but income is quite a bit lower than U.K.
 
As the saying goes...it's all relative.

I have a great quality of life here, thank you very much, but only because I'm a high earner. Most of the population isn't and I do sometimes wonder how they manage. I guess you just do though, no matter the situation. I remember being practically destitute in Tenerife and eating pasta every day. However, Lupo always got a bit of meat ;)
 
Actually I like hazel's idea, I loved working downtown, the farmer's market during the summer months, was heaven shop, going from stall to stall picking out the goodies.......and Ian....your list is making me sooo hungry!
 
I feel a cauliflower cheese bake coming on!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]