Sunday, May 20, 2007

 

An age thing.........

The last few weeks have taught me one thing. How frail the mind can be at times. It's an age thing, and can be quite amusing, but it also brings worries.

My mother has never been able to get my name right, so I'm not bothered about what she calls me. She has used my father's name a few times, and I know this worries her much more than it does me.

Not knowing the day or forgetting the month is something we all have problems with at times. "Going up to bed" when we have no stairs, is a habit of a life time. These little mistakes are easily passed over.

She's also asked about my brother, the one that helped her back into bed in the middle of the night, a few days ago. It was me. I have no brothers, or sisters for that matter. I thought she should know that. I passed it off as a joke and she seemed happy enough to do the same.

Then there was the other woman, not my wife, who had coffee with us the other afternoon. I promised her there was no other woman. Two in my life are more than enough.

We were going out, and I caught her putting on lipstick, only it wasn't. She was using a pink highlight pen. But it wasn't a problem. She was making a good job of it............. and the colour suited her.

It's not every day. Most days everything is very normal, and then something will slip out and stop you in your tracks. And you wonder.

Comments:
An age thing....that is quite scary. I think you sort of get used to it, in a weird way, after a while. But I used to find it quite spooky, when I was younger (late teens). My mum looked after my nan (for 7 years) when she'd had several strokes and could do very, very little for herself, plus my nan was doubly incontinent. My nan used to 'hear' things - i.e. misinterpret what was said and get angry because she'd taken something as an insult when it wasn't what had been said, if you know what I mean.
 
I do know what you mean. Luckily, my mother is not the angry type. I was offered some advice from a continence expert. "Keep your nails short". I know what she means as well!
 
My mum hasn't been able to get my name right for years! She can complete The Scotsman crossword puzzle in minutes, she sure can remember what wine she needs, but my name, seems to elude her.

We have so much to look forward to in our advancing years!
 
OK, my professional side is peeking out. How old is your Mom? Are her meds all in order, not messed up the doseages? So many things effect the memory that really have nothing to do with the beginnings of dementia....even this move to your home.......professional side....set aside......my kids would read this...and say.....compared to me...she is quite normal :-)
 
Sunny, the medication is minimal and I keep an eye on it. Tablet for thyroid, one for blood pressure and pain killers, half the prescribed dose, for arthritis.

The old dear is 90, so a little forgetfulness is to be expected.

Fi, from what I can remember it's not only your name your mother has trouble remembering. I think 'thank you' may be missing sometimes as well. Shame it's not an age thing.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]