Thursday, March 08, 2007

 

Kill it, cook it, eat it.......

I've had a few days off. Only doing that which was absolutely necessary. Throw in a couple of early nights ...........and ............I don't feel any different! Well, perhaps just a little rested.

I've caught up with some snail mail that's been hanging around for weeks and answered a few queries from GenesReunited contacts about Family History. I also managed to watch the controversial series of programmes on B.B.C.3 Kill it, Cook it, Eat it. It's where an animal, a cow, a lamb and a pig, is shown grazing happily in a field, taken to a local abattoir, stunned, slaughtered, butchered and cooked, all within a few hours.

There's a little more to it than that, or rather a lot more. The programme is designed to show the relationship and the process of how a beast in a field ends up as a meal on our table. It's viewed on site by a cross section of people. They are asked how they feel about what they have witnessed, how it has effected they way they now feel about meat and how it reaches their table.

I must admit, I found it all fascinating. It was nothing that I hadn't seen before, but not as one complete process. The way a slaughter man dressed a lamb carcass before it was sent to the butchers, because that's what he did. Then the way the butchered portioned and jointed the meat to maximise the chances of selling the whole animal and not just the choices cuts.

True, only the tenderest of the cuts were used by the chef, mainly because of the need for meat to be hung for a number of days to achieve it's prime condition. The tasting was joined by all but a few. The inevitable vegetarian and one or two that had changed their eating habits after what they had witnessed.

In all, I found the programme positive and would recommend all, if they get chance, to watch the series. I understand the next in the series is about poultry. I have a sort of love/hate relationship with poultry, having eaten it daily for many years. So I look forward to the next programme with ............. interest?

Comments:
The true test of a chef is not using prime cuts but making the less desirable cuts into a desirable meal ;)

Hell, a good piece of meat is difficult to go wrong with.

I've seen bits of the slaughtering process on tv....it affects me for a few days and then I crave a nice big juicy steak again. Actually my sister thinks I'm gruesome that I can look into a field of pretty spring lambs and go "mmmmmm roast leg of lamb".

I like the River Cottage series, Hugh is an interesting guy and kinda cool. I believe he's been instrumental in teaching the viewing public to think about where that slab of meat on a poly tray and cling-wrapped (oooh speaking of that Ian ;) comes from. Way better than those chefs who just prance about in their kitchens making pretty food :)

Of course 'kill it, cook it, eat it' has some seriously awful overtones in this part of the world, where everything and his dog, so to speak, ends up on a table somewhere!
 
It dose make you think, and that's what the programme was meant to do. Not sure I will think well of the next programme on poultry ;-)

There's a field full of lambs across the valley from us. Wonder if they would miss one? Mint sauce and red currant jelly is at the ready!
 
'It dose'??????

Dyslexia is bcak agian!
 
I thought 'dose' was some sort of Cornwallian slang or someut.

I saw a chook programme once....almost threw up. But then I ate a slow roasted cornish game hen with fresh rosemary and I was fine again.

Those lambs in the field....what say you and I nip over the fence and nab one under the cover of dark, Ian? ;)
 
I'll just take a leg. No point in taking the whole lamb!
 
Pointing at you....the lamb crippler!!!!!!
 
What is it with you two and food?! ~laughing~

Ian, I am glad to see you writing again! Happy that you took a few days quiet time, I have been worried about you!

As to seeing the slaughter, I dunno, I get so attached to the cattle in our pastures, we have 2 babies running around now......I do think vegetarianism would seem mighty fine to me.
 
hahahhaha Sunny it's our common bond!!!!

oh gosh I could NEVER give up my big juicy steaks....I do love a nice slab of beef ;)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]