Friday, December 08, 2006

 

Light blue touchpaper......

I was afraid it would happen, and if I was a betting person, I could have made a pound or two. I've had to write to our local Member of Parliament to see if he can help in getting my wife's benefit paid.

After her birthday at the beginning of November, her Disability Benefit changed, and the benefit was transferred to a national office from our local office in town. It was quite obvious to me that as it was linked to other benefits we receive, there would also be problems with them as well. I was not wrong!

I've spent the last month phoning, writing, and passing information to the new office, in an effort to get the monies owed paid into her account. I've heard all the excuses. We're waiting for information. Still not received. Received but lost. It's here...... but we can't find it (sounds like 'lost' to me!). I've even been told not to worry, that it can all be backdated, and that we don't want to over pay you as we will have to claim it back! Better that than no money!

Then there was the broken promises. I'll phone you back. The coordinator will phone you. A supervisor or your accounts operator will phone. But nothing! Not one of the promises kept....... and that's the thing that annoys me the most.

So I've called in the heavy brigade. Someone with a bit of clout to sort out the problem. Fortunately we are not desperate for the money, even with Christmas on the horizon, but there will be others in our situation that are, and if they've had no money coming in for over a month, some could be in dire straights.

It's now a case of wait and see. But I do hope that someone get a rocket up their ass, now I've lit the blue touchpaper.

Comments:
God, I'm so annoyed with you. The levels of incompetence in that benefit system seem universal and never ending don't they? As you say, luckily you AREN'T in dire straits re the money, but still what a total bloody frustrating pain in the rear end all that is. I wish you the best of luck with the lit blue touchpaper! Hope someone does something BEFORE they're arsehole is really burnt badly (ugh, sorry for the mental visual there).
 
NOOOOOO!!! I meant to type I'm so annoyed FOR you. Sorry. I'm half asleep (or should that be half daft?).
 
Honestly, I think one of the most annoying parts of being a carer is the running around after inefficient bureaucrats who make errors - I spend a LOT of time helping the Big Dude comply with various rules for his little bits of pensions from several sources and it drives me crazy. And I say that as a bureaucrat myself!

The caring for HIM I don't mind so much. It's the pissing about with services I can't stand.
 
Thanks for your comments hazel and emily.

We've had three 'changes of circumstance' occurring in a three week period. Too much for the benefits system to handle, I suspect. On top of my wife's payments not being made, three other benefits have been suspended, awaiting more information.

Waiting on other people yet again...... and the inevitable call centre, somewhere on the other side of the world.

I understand John Hannon is the Minister in charge at The Big House. We shall see what next week brings.
 
You still sound as if you have more patience than I ...I think I would be pulling my hair out and stomping my feet at this point.

It is a terrible tangle of paper, and rules, and more paper, and people not wanting to do their jobs, or just overwhelmed because of all the paper and rules and paper and stupid stupid rules and procedures that always always have to be followed.

Hope calling on the big gun gets you a resolution to the problem
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]