Saturday, December 30, 2006

 

Back into the routine.......

I'm going to have to get myself sorted out soon and get back into the old routine. I've only had time over the last week to read a few postings and drop a few comments. I've also had to catch up and reply to the usual Christmas letters and notes in cards. The 'once a year' one's you get at this time of the year. It all takes time if you're a one finger typist.

True, I've had a little extra work with my mother visiting over Christmas and for the New Year, but she's not a lot of trouble and is easy to get along with. Her mobility is a real problem though, and I can't see how she is going to manage if she wants to return home. A big drafty house with far too many stairs. Everything is to hand here. It's only a few steps to anywhere, so I do hope she takes up our offer and decided to stay, permanently.

I can see some shuddering at the thought, but there is far more worry in dealing with problems at a distance rather than on the door step, especially if one can't drop everything and run. Anyway, a day or two and we shall know what's happening.

Comments:
Happy New Year!

I hope your mother makes the 'best' decision, whatever that may be. Perhaps, as you say it would be less worrying and nerve wracking if she moves in with you and your wife, considering she is elderly and frail. Of course it would mean you would be a carer to two people (wife and mother) - do you get any home help, etc.? I can't remember reading if you do. I'm sure there are many people who would love a son like you and a husband too who is so altruistic.

Best wishes.
 
Happy New Year Hazel.

You had me scurrying for the dictionary again. I've been called many things, but altruistic?

Yep, I do it because I care, but I also do it for selfish reasons. It gives me a good feeling and it gives me a reason for being. I have given it a lot of thought, to take on extra caring, but the alternative is not an option.

I don't have any help but I have contact numbers if things go wrong, and the Community Nurses are only a phone call away for advice or to check things out if I'm not sure.

The lucky thing is that I've grown into it and not woken up one morning to find myself dropped in it. Anyway, I've had a long chat about it with my mother, but left the decision to her..... so we shall see.

Thanks for you input.
 
Hi Ian - I hope you survived the storms!

I read somewhere once that even Mother Theresa admitted that she found self-satisfaction in her apparent selflessness.

While I may have indeed shuddered a little, I'll admit it, I also see that for you this is the route you freely choose and that's a good thing for you and your wife and mother.

Altruism is oft defined as behaviour that is not beneficial, or may be harmful, to oneself in order to benefit others. But I see your situation as more symbiotic :)

And I do remain as someone with immense admiration for you.
 
Good luck Ian, and I think you are correct, it may be a bit more work for you, but without the distance things will still be easier on you.

Happy New Year darlin'
 
I'm full of admiration - but I wouldn't feel good about it (on your behalf) if it didn't give YOU a good feeling. I'd hate to think it was all sacrifice.
Sounds like you'll all get on just fine and I'll be interested to hear what the decision is.
Big hug to you - you're a lovely person. Oh, and Happy New Year!
x
 
Thank you all. I wouldn't say there haven't been doubts, on both sides, and it's still not 100% sure that it will happen, but I need to know by tomorrow to get food organised to take with us if she does want to return home. A big decision deserves some thought.

Happy and healthy New Year to you all.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]