Thursday, October 19, 2006

 

What's happening to Christmas?

We don't do a lot to celebrate Christmas. Over the years we've seen the whole idea of Christmas degenerate into a profit driven event, where the shops and manufacturers try to get the public to spend far more than they can reasonably afford. Christmas has become 'How much more was spent this year over last year'.

We've always worked over Christmas until recently, even on the day itself, and have been happy to do so. We ran a Pub, so it really was a 365 day job in our case. What we did like to do is to keep in touch with the people that meant the most to us by sending good quality Christmas cards.

I know it's still October but all the shops and stores have now got there stocks in for the forth coming festive season. So where have all the decent Christmas cards gone?

A tree, with a bit of glitter (hate the stuff) and the word, Happy Xmas or Seasons Greetings if you're lucky. A dismal painting of a nativity scene by some obscure Dutch artist. A pudding with a sprig of holly, penguins, polar bears even Disney characters, with 'Left Blank for your Message'. Now, I don't want a Shakespeare sonnet but I do want a little more than Happy Xmas.

I spent most of an afternoon, going from shop to shop looking for something different, hoping something would jump out at me, but to no avail. Luckily I still have a few cards from last year, some that arrived from a Charity source too late to send, so these will have to do unless a miracle happens in the next few week. I'll hit the Garden Centres next, they sell decorations so they must sell cards. I hear the 'in' colour this year is black. Black trees, black garlands, very festive, just like the cards.

Every year I say I'm going to design my own cards. It's a bit late now but next year........... well, it's definitely on the cards!

Comments:
I'm so glad I don't 'do' Christmas!!!

Bah humbug!!!
 
And how is it a bit late to design your own cards my friend? You have a computer, buy some nice cardstock, take one of your amazing photographs (didn't you post one of a winter scene you had taken?), a color printer, and voila you have a Christmas Card, a special one because it was made by you. And if you cannot think of your own verse...why again your computer comes in quite handy, you google christmas card verses...and plagarize one that suits you. I am the queen of procrastination, I did it on December 20th last year...and they were a big hit!

Hint hint---if you decide to send me one...there is a certain photograph I would love to have on mine ;)

Black for Christmas decor...no way...I am a traditional kind of gal...our tree is real and the ornaments all have a special meaning to each one of us...the gift part...each year I say it will something very special for each person on my list...but again my procrastination and hatred of shopping come into play...and I am breezing through the shops looking for what is on the list..except of course for the books I gift...those I take time with....oohh why did you have to bring up Christmas...I still have to deal with our American Thanksgiving! ~Sigh~ the holidays here are way too close together.
 
I love Japanese art and Ukiyo-e. There are some works by Hiroshige that would adapt well into 3-D cards. I also have a neighbour who is very into Pergamano and has done some beautiful geisha's on cards.

If.....if I can find the time, I might make a start.

I jest not about black. It's everywhere. Thought Christmas was all about birth not mourning.

Can't say I blame you Fi for staying out of Christmas. I've seen it cause more trouble than it's worth. My wife, Cag, hates Christmas. There were always family arguments, a little too much to drink etc, so it never had happy memories for her.
 
I hear you Ian....there always seemed to be this huge pressure that day...the presents (did everyone at least like them)...the meal (all that cooking for one meal)...the steady stream of booze (and the inevitable fall-out)

and...the prospect of doing it all over again, 365 days later!!!!
 
Cag's father was a man's man, and always wanted a son to follow in his footsteps. He had five daughters. Six women in a house with a man who is not comfortable with female company........ you see the problem!
 
Wow.....that's a lot of girls!!!

After my brother left home and it was just my dad and all us 'girls', my dad used to complain he was surrounded by "weechees" *L*
 
You can imagine the hormonal clash that six to one can generate.

All five girls turned out fine. It's the next generation that seem to have suffered the backlash.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]