Friday, September 22, 2006

 

Welcome Flags....


They've gone!

Quietly taken down while no one was looking. And still the argument goes on about their reason for being. I wonder if those people that protest too much ever gave them more than a glance.

Did they take the time to stand with them, look up, see the multitude of colours caused by the movement, and hear the wind roaring through their twisting form? Did they see them against the blue of the sky or see the sun shining through them?

No, all they could see was the cost. The sort of people who would look at a picture by Monet and see only a £20 canvas and £20's worth of paint. People who have never watched a stone grow or drank tea from an empty cup. People with no imagination or joy in their hearts. Did they appreciate that the gardens beneath them were planted with wild flowers? I doubt that they even noticed.

Well, I look forward to next year, when the Welcome Flags will return, and I shall visit them again to see and hear them fly. I expect the moaners will have their say once more. I expect nothing less!

Post Script to Welcome Flags....

It appears they were taken down early so that they were not damaged by the tail end of Hurricane Gordon............ which never arrived!


Comments:
"People who have never watched a stone grow or drank tea from an empty cup."

I like that...a lot!

Ian, I've just spent the weekend watching series 1 and 2 of Doc Martin - what a beautiful place Port Isaac is!!!
 
They were beautiful, this photo in particular...your post reminded of the quite joyful times of pretend play with my children...thank you.
 
Thank you both.

I'm not a great fan of Doc Martin, he never gets the girl, but some of the scenery is wonderful. It's worth watching just for that.
 
He doesn't get the girl coz he needs to chill *L*

I loved the scenery, just couldn't get enough of it....I really must explore more of the British Isles sometime.
 
Get the weather right and you have the best country in the world, and most of the people speak English...... of sorts!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]