Monday, September 11, 2006

 

A New Purse....


It took me a while, and many endless hours waiting in shops, to understand the fascination with shoes and the 'must have' matching handbag. But why would she need a new purse?


The old one had hardly been used. Carried everywhere, but never opened, well, not in my presence anyway. The catch still brand new, as shinny as the day it was made, and the leather in perfect condition. Even the coins it contained showed our Queen as a young woman.


Credit cards in neat rows, never scuffed by scanning or chip 'n pin machines. Not much use any more as the pin number have long been forgotten. A receipt, some four years old, print faded and hardly readable, despite never being exposed to daylight. A card warning of an unusual blood group, and a Donner Card with next of kin carefully printed. All now have a new home.
It was a suggestion from her sister. She had just bought one and was showing it off at a recent visit. As she was getting one for another sister, would my wife like one too? Well, of course she would.


"I'll post it to you", said sister, "and you can send me a cheque", looking in my direction, knowing that my wife can't write a cheque. "It will last for ages", she added. I bet it will, thought I.


We took it for a drive today. To a garden centre where it easily could have been put to good use. No, it was my wallet, my very old battered wallet, that was opened to make the purchases. A watering can for me, an orchid and two Christmas cards (buy them when you see them), for my wife. She didn't flinch, not even when I mentioned that now would be a good time to see if her purse worked. It stayed hidden in the dark recesses of her handbag. There, I expect, it will languish, until another new purse takes it's place.


But it's hardly been used, so why would she need a new purse?


Comments:
Ponders this one....I have a well-worn wallet/purse/holder-of-monetary-wealth...and I'm not too much into the whole lots-of-bags thing either.

Nope can't be of much help I'm afraid! Maybe it's connected to the whole 'shopping' thing? :)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Must remember to spell check before I post. Opps!

I think the purse may be a shoe substitute. My wife can't wear shoes anymore. Or perhaps it's a leather thing ...... and I've been missing out!
 
It could well be a shoe substitute.

Ermmmm as for the leather reference, my sister custom makes, shall we say, leather 'accessories' for play ;) - she started out making bespoke dog collars and her catalogue has grown from there. I can put you in touch with her if you like! *big grin*
 
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stick to wrapping myself in cling-film. Could post a pic for H.N.T....... or perhaps not.
 
hahahahaha oh go on Ian....clingwrap yourself, you know you've put an image in our minds now and we want to seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
 
laughing, Ian this post is marvelous!
I don't carry a purse myself. Oh I have one, well two, one for winter, and one for summer, but they spend their time sitting on the floorboard of my car..Pockets, in my mind they were made for filling, I have my drivers license, and atm card, maybe a credit card on occasion, what more would I need? But I must say, when out with my husband....my pockets mysteriously stay empty *smile*

Now you in cling wrap for an HNT, oh that is a must see...please do ;)
 
Oh sh*t. What have I let myself in for?

I'll bare it in mind.
 
I knew the britspeak/americanspeak would get muddled here *L*

purse in britspeak is wallet in americanspeak

bag or handbag in britspeak is purse in americanspeak

*puts a roll of clingfilm on the table....and sits waiting with Sunny* *L*
 
Two Countries divided by a common language. I keep having to remember who uses what!
 
Lol, well as I mentioned I don't actually USE either one...

but Ian...I do have lots and lots of cling wrap on hand ~devilish grin~

soo please do 'bare' it in mind ~another grin~
 
How do I get myself into these situations? No connection between brain and mouth, that's how........or typing finger in my case!

I can see this isn't going to go away!!
 
nope it's not going to Ian....Sunny and I are going to wait this one out...and we're good at that so be warned

PS you might want to consider obliging us before the cold weather sets in....I mean you know we'd hate for the cold to be a factor in our appreciation of your art form ;)
 
I am known for my impatience...but for this I have the patience of a saint...the halo is slightly tarnished...but I am sure a layer of cling film would make it look quite shiny....oh and Ian...I just need an address... my spare box of cling film is all packaged up, with my spare digital camera included....*L*
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]