Monday, August 14, 2006

 

GenesReunited.....

I've been wondering. I've been in contact with some interesting and helpful people since I joined GenesReunited, but I've also been contacted by, shall we call them, users. People that want all the help in the world and give nothing or very little in return. Several time recently, I've had information given to me that I put out to others a few years ago, and it's done a full circle.

So what would happen if I were to put, shall we say, false information on my family tree at GR and see what life from the bottom of the pond emerges?

My family tree is traceable and can be verified back to about 1720. It's not been possible to go back further because like so many families in Devon, records before 1700 have been lost or destroyed. There are, however, records of a family with a very similar name to be found in Dartmouth. This family dates from about 1600 to 1670, so it wouldn't be too difficult to 'invent' a link or two and see what happens.

Will I do it? I'm sorely tempted, and perhaps the two families are indeed relate. Dartmouth and Exeter have a link with the wool trade, so perhaps the family moved from Dartmouth during the late 1600's.

We shall see..................!

15th Aug.
Second thoughts. A nights sleep and a new day. I don't really need to lower myself to the level of the people I despise. Far better to be thought a plonker than to prove it. Perhaps there are other ways to stop feeling used.

Comments:
When I first saw the genesreunited I thought wtf is that? lol
Follow your goodness, I know what you mean about wanting to make a point by doing back to someone what they did, but in the end we have to live with ourselves not them...well done...and how interesting to be able to find your roots that far back.
 
Surprising what a nights sleep will do.........but the devil in me.....perhaps next time:-)
 
Isn't geneology wonderful stuff !!

On a more positive note, a few years back I gave my parents an anniversary gift of a report on their ancestry by the Scots Ancestry Research Society. My mother's roots were traced back to 1773 and my father's to 1798.

There was quite a mixed bag of things and it seems I come from a long line of molecatchers!!!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]